*Note that the add on will install locally an executable that will need appropriate permissions to run on your server. If your system administrator does not allow this, you can use the External URL field (http://your-web-server/api/GeneratePDF) in conjunction with Generate Pdf Web API portal.
Please note that PDF Generator is not compatible with Azure.
How to generate Pdf documents directly from the DNN portal:
- Create a form with some text boxes and a button.
- Add an action of type Generate Pdf to the button.
- In the Generate Pdf action you can define an HTML template, using tokens, DNN or My Tokens, texts from your form text boxes, etc.
- Add a name for the PDF file to generate.
- Add the Generated PDF File Destination Path.
- There are a few options to select for your pdf: Orientation,Paper Size and Color.
- Optionally provide token names that can be used in next actions down the stack, for Absolute URL, Relative URL, Physical Path for the Generated PDF.
- Leave External URL empty for default local generation.
- HTML Code
Can contain form tokens (for example [Email]) and My Tokens.
- PDF Name
The name of the PDF file to generate. If left empty, a GUID will be generated for name. Illegal characters will be cut out from the name.
- Generated File Destination
The destination directory on your portal.
- Orientation Landscape
Set orientation to Landscape. Default, unchecked, is Portrait.
- Paper Size
Set paper size to: A4, Letter, etc.
If checked, PDF will be generated in Grayscale, otherwise will keep the html colors.
- Store Absolute URL
Optionally provide a token name where to Store Absolute URL. The token can be used in next actions down the stack.
- Store Relative URL
Optionally provide a token name where to Store Relative URL. The token can be used in next actions down the stack.
- Store Physical Path
Optionally provide a token name where to Store Physical Path. The token can be used in next actions down the stack.
Useful for example to send the generated Pdf file in an email attachment.
- External URL
When this is present, Action Form POSTs the HTML to this URL. Useful when pdf generation can't be executed on server due to permission restrictions.
There is a Generate Pdf Web API application available for download, to install it on your server of choice.
Check this nice video: